Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Turn the Whole Thing Upside Down: Pineapple Upside Down Cake

I have really been after mom to make pineapple upside down cake -- not that I'd ever had it or could communicate from where I heard of it, but I had to have it.  Daddy has been on a crazy working streak (even more than normal) and we wanted to do something nice for him, so I convinced mom that pineapple upside down cake was the ticket.  Wanting to keep it simple, we followed this recipe that uses boxed yellow cake.  I was excited about getting the cake, but even more excited that mom let me use the stove for the first time -- the recipe calls for melting the butter and brown sugar in the baking pan, which was actually a good way for me to cook on the stove because there was really no exposed flame.  Then I got to put in the pineapple slices and cherries.  Cam was in charge of mixing up the cake batter and pouring that on top.  Just a short time later we had a yummy treat.  And even though daddy didn't make it home for dinner like we hoped, he had a slice late that night and thought it was delish, too.

Check out TinkerLab's ideas for cooking with kids (including letting kids create on their own -- our mom isn't there yet).  Mom is also a recent fan of the Foodie Parent's blog, mentioned at TinkerLab, which has some yummy looking recipes to make with and without kiddos.  We are quite excited that warm weather is returning to our area because we LOVE experimenting with popsicles - mom is thinking this might be the summer we spring for a Zoku.








No comments: