We come from a long line of Irish folk and LOVE us some St. Patrick's Day. I mean, my favorite color is already green, so .... Mom's been talking up something called a shamrock shake lately -- apparently it was one of her favorite holiday treats growing up. Then she mentioned to a friend she was planning on taking us to Old Macdonalds for our first taste and said friend relayed her own experience last year where her kids went into a sugar-induced high followed by a vomitous downer. Mom rethought her plan and came up with this: shamrock shake playdough. All the holiday fun without the tummy rollercoaster. OK, not ALL the fun, but it was still a pretty good time.
Here's the shamrock scoop:
Shamrock Shake Playdough
- 4 cups flour
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup salt
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 4 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1/2 - 1 tablespoon of peppermint extract (depending on how strong you want it to smell)
- 1/2 - 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract (same)
- green and yellow food coloring
- green and gold glitter
- gold coins (mom picked up these shamrock ones in the Target dollar bins) or other St. Patty's Day appropriate props (we also used heart cookie cutters to make shamrocks)
Combine ingredients through extracts and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until most of the moisture is absorbed (it will take a bit). Let it cool on some wax paper. Divide the batch into halves and work green and yellow food coloring into the respective halves. Add glitter to each and work it in.
(mermaids are totally friends with leprachauns)