Friday, October 3, 2014

Jack O'Lantern Macarons


I don't know about everyone else, but my kids are OBSESSED with everything pumpkin from Trader Joe's this season. I feel like a fall Forrest Gump at the checkout line: pumpkin muffins, pumpkin bars, pumpkin granola, pumpkin croutons, pumpkin ice cream, pumpkin bagels, pumpkin cream cheese ... it's honestly a little ridiculous. But as soon as they spotted the pumpkin macarons, it was, well, macarON. Everyone ate their dinner the night we brought those home, and as we had them for dessert, the idea to make them into little Jack O'Lanterns popped into my head. It's so cute and so simple, and is taking a little edge off the kids' general requests to decorate the entire house. No need -- we have festive macarons!


All you need are:
- pumpkin macarons (I can vouch for Trader Joe's, but if you're feeling ambitious, you can make your own, too); and
- a black food writer 

And then just let your kiddos gently draw on their best Jack O'Lantern faces. I found it best to decorate the macarons straight out of the freezer -- they are a little less delicate at that point. But, broken ones also get consumed during decoration, so we weren't always as careful as we could be. I can't wait to bring these back out for a Halloween party!




No comments: