Friday, September 9, 2016

The Friday Five!

Woohoo! We made it to the end of the first week back to school (and I only forgot to pick up the kids once)!! It's been a week full of emotions for us all, but it's done. In between laughing and crying, here's what else we did.


Reading -- we scored a copy of the new Harry Potter script from the library this week and dove right in. It's an interesting challenge to read an entire script aloud to the kids, but I think it's a fun new family reading exercise. Cam was feeling a little nervous about 1st grade, so we started reading The Gutsy Girl: Escapades for Your Life of Epic Adventure together. It's awesome.

Making -- we are redoing the hardwood floors on the kids' level this week (excellent timing, I know), which meant everything from their rooms has been packed up and sitting in my living room (and dining room, and kitchen, and bathroom). So we haven't been able to make a whole lot this week, but Cam has been all over our Nod easel now that she's got unrestricted access to it (it's usually on the balcony off of Kane's room). Painting, sketching, drawing. She's doing it all.

Cooking -- this is my last week in the kitchen for a while (those floors are next - [sarcastic] yippee!!) so I tried to cook a lot even though it was hard with the first week back to school schedule. These Easy Weeknight Chicken Tacos were hands down the family fave this week. I put the kids in tortillas and mine over cauliflower rice.

Playing -- as I mentioned, we've mostly been playing "pack it up and put it somewhere we're unlikely to find it" this week. BUT when we're not doing that, Cam keeps insisting we all play family Twister right in the middle of the the S show that is our living room. Makes perfect sense. Sensing my impending blowup, Kane throws her a bone and plays with her.

Wanting -- I really need a new wallet. My current Kate Spade wallet (Lake Blue in Ostrich) has been carrying everything ever for almost forever and it's done. I can't really justify it, but this Christian Louboutin Spiked number would certainly help keep the kids from looking for spare change. Plus it's that perfect shade of nude I'm obsessing over.

2 comments:

miccolene said...

I don't even know how I found your blog but I love your Friday Five! And I gotta say- you've inspired me to meal plan. I've been planning meals for about seven weeks now (and tried several of your recipes, that dijon mustard roast thing was amazing) and it has made such a difference in my mom-life. We are having a baby next week and I even meal planned some frozen meals so my freezer is full. Just wanna say HEY and THANKS and keep on writing.

Not-So-SAHM said...

Thank you so much @miccolene! I really appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and encouragement. And I'm so glad I could be a little bit of help. Good luck with the new babe!! xo R