Wednesday, August 31, 2016
Kid-Friendly Acai Bowl
One of our kids' most favorite things to do when we're in New Jersey is to go to the Saturday Farmer's Market. Where they eat EVERYTHING. They start out with an enormous egg sandwich from the local bakery, hit up the crepe cart for a Nutella and marshmallow crepe, and then insist they are still hungry enough to eat an "Aloha bowl" from another stand. The Aloha bowl is essentially an acai smoothie bowl, but it happens to cost $9 at the Farmer's Market. So I've been waiting to make one at home for less and when they picked all the fruit at Larriland Farm last week, I knew now was the time!
And it's become our favorite breakfast. It's easy to customize, including keeping it clean for Joel and I who are back on the Paleo bandwagon. Our kiddos like fruit, but this is jam-packed with it. Plus, our version has several superfoods in it, which makes me even happier.
Here's what you'll need for our Acai Bowl (Makes 4 servings):
- 2 tsp Acai powder (it's not cheap, but you use just a little in each batch)
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/4 cup fresh raspberries
- 1/4 cup fresh blueberries
- 16 ounces frozen fruit (we use Trader Joe's Organic Tropical Fruit Blend)
- toppings: we used fresh sliced fruit and berries, unsweetened coconut flakes, chia seeds, granola (the kids), and a drizzle of honey.
Blend all of the ingredients except for the toppings in a blender. Pour into a bowl and add whatever toppings you like. Chow!