Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Grub: Rosh Hashanah Challah

It probably won't come as a surprise, but we aren't really "fully compliant" with any religious holiday -- we prefer to celebrate "in the spirit" of many of them, including Rosh Hashanah.  And although we didn't go to services this year, we did make our very first batch of New Year's challah (which, unlike regular challah, is formed into a ring or a circle).  Mom found this self-proclaimed "shiksa" recipe and knew it would be right up our alley.  After the second round of rising, we split the dough into two equal parts and Cam and I each made our own.  I chose to make a linked loop version, while Cam went with the turban challah.  We eschewed raisins, but both had a little bit of a heavy hand with the salt.

Mom was not persuaded by my attempt to make round challah according to the story I claim to have heard at school -- wherein the baker's son tripped on "the stair bump" and dropped the challah, turning it into a round loaf.  It took 4 1/2 hours, but it was DELISH.

Mom also asked us for our Rosh Hashanah "resolutions."  Mine was to "listen better to my teachers."  Mom said I should tack on there listening better to her, but I was not persuaded.  Cam just said "Dora" and we're all hoping that does not mean we have to watch another year of the explorer.  Hope everyone had a Happy New Year!









No comments: