Wednesday, November 26, 2014

The Hirshhorn Museum: At the Hub of Things


I couldn't wait to get the kids in school for longer periods of time and now it's driving me a bit mad that we have no time during the week to do anything. Especially since it's getting dark out so early. Granted, as soon as they're home for the summer, I'll be lamenting the loss of school time. But, that's just how it goes, I guess.



In any event, Kane got out of school a little early yesterday for the Thanksgiving holiday and we had a playdate with a buddy planned. I thought a little trip to the Hirshhorn to check out the new exhibit of permanent collection items, At the Hub of Things, might be fun -- I had an inkling that Ernesto Neto's "The Dangerous Logic of Wooing, 2002," a giant sculpture of lycra, styrafoam and rice might capture their interest. And I was right -- they had a blast. They all did a great job following our "museum rules," and had really good ideas about the art.

It's a great exhibit to pop in with kids. But, as usual, they had the most fun playing in the sculpture garden after -- getting their energy out in an epic game of monster munch tag -- as the sun set behind the National Monument.








4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too couldn't wait for school but now struggle with doing all the wonderful projects and visiting museums. I'm going to try and write up lists and let the bug slim it down to a doable number. Two day weekends are not enough anymore.
Margaret

Not-So-SAHM said...

Great idea, Margaret! Our weekends have been full up with school-related things too, so it's making it even more difficult. Can't have it all!

Darcy said...

Did you check out the Lost Time exhibit on the second floor? There's a huge shadow sculpture that is one of my favorite works ever (I brought the kids today to see it). Love your museum posts! You've inspired me to (maybe) try the Philips Collection this weekend!

Not-So-SAHM said...

Thanks! We started to check out the Lost Time exhibit, which concept seemed super awesome, but it was getting late and the kids needed to get outside! I'm definitely going back though. Do the Philips!!!