Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Fly Away: Chicago: (Final) Part 5: Museum of Contemporary Art


We were so excited to share our acorn jewel caps yesterday that we totally forgot to dish on our final spring break adventure -- the Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago. Normally we check out art museums when there is a particular exhibit mom thinks will be of interest to the kiddos, but mom really wanted to visit MCA Chicago for herself. So we were quite glad to find two exhibits that were right up our alley: the Plaza Project: Martin Creed and Destroy the Picture.

Martin Creed's rotating sculpture spells out the word "MOTHERS" in white neon and you don't even have to go into the museum to see it -- it's right out front. We actually watched it first from the playground across the street (the museum doesn't open until 10, but there is a great little park across the street -- right behind the old Water Tower). And we liked catching views of it from above, inside the museum too. Mom told us it should remind us that mothers are all around -- always watching. I told her that I thought it was a comment on helicopter parenting and she should back off (I didn't really, but it would be a lot cooler if I did). Either way, it was pretty awesome.


The exhibit I liked most was Destroy the Picture. I have a real knack for tearing, cutting, scrunching ... you know, destroying art work as I make it (or sometimes days later). I just like to do it. Mom had no idea that was an intentional art strategy and I didn't miss a beat in trying to convince mom her that was why I do it. Duh. We spent a fair amount of time in the exhibit, looking at the various destructive practices -- I was also quick to try and convince mom I need a blowtorch to really get into the movement.




If you are in the area, both exhibits will be at MCA Chicago until early June -- check them out! And that does it for our spring break escapades ... we'll be back local for a while!

No comments: